Lazy reasons to homeschool

I popped down to Utah with Miss K & Mr. B to try and make it to my nephew’s baptism this weekend, but we forgot about K’s dance photos on Saturday so we have to head back in the morning. I totally win at parental scheduling.

This cat does not want to get on the school bus

This brings me to one of the reasons I homeschool. I was chatting with my Sister in Law last weekend and she didn’t believe me when I said part of the reason we homeschool is out of laziness. I think… I think she has me, well, all homeschoolers on some kind of pedestal made out of wariness and awe. But it’s true – I mean I have noble reasons for homeschooling too, but I also have some big fat lazy ones. Let’s list them, shall we?

1. Mornings. You know how I feel about them, and I’ve birthed two children who are in complete agreement with me. The thought of getting these little people up and ready and looking presentable and on a bus by 7:00 in the morning (in the pitch black of night during the winter) is impossible-feeling.

2. Clinginess. The schools around here are far away. The kids get on the bus during the butt crack of dawn hours and come home around dinner time. I’m only slightly exaggerating. The middle schoolers and high schoolers are seriously gone ALL DAY LONG. For nine months out of the year. Then their evening hours at home are filled with homework and cramming in extra stuff like youth group stuff at church, friends, scouts, sports, etc. I… I seriously do not know how my friends manage. I would really miss having my kids around. I joke and call it clinginess or sheltering them all like little Amish children, but that’s not really it. I just kind of hate how the system is set up, and I get that it has to be structured this way — you have to have that much time to pick up all the kids in a rural area and bus them to school in time for it to start. Teachers need the whole day to try to help and teach a frillion kids in their classrooms — all with different learning needs. I just really enjoy the slower, more focused, one on one, not-gone-all-day pace at home.

3. Remembering. I was looking at my sister’s school schedule on her fridge and then listened to her schedule for today. And then I had to take a nap. Various pick ups and drop offs and carpool schedules and remembering whether or not it’s a half day / early day / teacher’s day / holiday / your day to bring the snacks / report day / bring the diorama you were supposed to make over the weekend to school day. For the part year J. was in kindergarten I failed at this so badly. I forgot the snacks and forgot which days school was out, and forgot which days school was in. Let’s not even talk about PTA meetings or parent teacher conferences. You organized parents go ahead and scoff, but I am terrible at this stuff. We regularly forget and are late to orthodontist appointments, dentist appointments, flute lessons, scouts, and church. And nobody flunks out or has to do community service hours for 230 tardies when those things occur — though I’m pretty sure several teachers and medical professionals want to fire us.

3. Extra curriculars. Okay so when your kid is at school all day the extra stuff like soccer or scouts, and even haircuts has to occur in the evenings. Actually I should have entitled this section “Freedom.” Because I really, really like that the music teacher can come at 2pm. I love that if a bunch of homeschoolers put together something like a gymnastics class or a baking class or a co-op or whatever, we can go at like 11 in the morning rather than at 5 at night.

4. Musical school breaks. I super wish that meant we were a homeschooling version of High School Musical, but alas. Only three of us can carry a tune. When we moved we magically made the month of March our spring break. I didn’t have to worry about keeping the kids on schedule AND packing up my entire house. They could help, and they helped a TON. Sure, we’ll have to school a little farther into summer this year, but that’s okay, because that’s what worked for us and what we needed. It makes me exhausted thinking about getting them on busses and picked up and shuttled around and whatever else we needed to remember while in the middle of moving. I know it can be done and better parents than me have achieved that and more, but I was really glad we didn’t have to.

I know a lot of this might sound like we homeschoolers just run around in our underpants and never learn algebra, and for us anyway, that isn’t true. We completely and totally enforce learning algebra in bathrobes at least. But for serious, my kids complete pretty rigorous courses in math, reading, spelling, history, science, writing, penmanship, and more. And they are usually a grade or two ahead of the school system here. It isn’t hard – even with the freedom we enjoy – because teaching one kid is so much easier than teaching 35. And they really do get to a point where they take off and do a ton of their stuff on their own.

I think it’s wonderful that your kids go to public school or private school or charter school or Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I’m totally not trying to convince anyone that my way is the best in the land, and I’m in total agreement that learning and teaching things like punctuality and honoring one’s appointments is an excellent thing and I think public schooled kids learn lots of great skills like how to wake up in the morning. And I know the laziness motivator goes both ways. My sister is like, “Dude. I can get them dressed and out the door and then go back to BED.” And she has a point.

What are your favorite reasons for whatever you do with your kittens? I mean kids?

Comments

1. Leigh says

100% with you on these reasons. Another? I hate hot, and the last, I mean last, time of the year I want to be scheduling all of our “fun, old-fashioned family vacations” (said in my best Clark Griswold voice) is in the middle of summer with all the other sweaty and grumpy families of the world.

Also, random, sanity-saving 23 minute Netflix breaks. Er, I mean, random recess breaks.

• Jessica says

Good point! Customizing vacations sounds great (if we ever did anything besides camp, ha). I think recess (ahem) is my 10 year old’s favorite part of the day :o)

2. Sarah says

Your list looks just like mine!! We also live in a very rural area, I love hearing the bus go by at 7:15am knowing I didn’t have to get up at 5am (or earlier) to get my 6 school aged children ready (we have 8 kids with version 9.0 due any day). The biggest feather in my hat right now is the amazing scholarships my oldest (just barely turned 18 daughter) has received to attend college at Southern Virginia University this fall. All the years of hand wringing that I was preparing my children to succeed have finally paid off.

• Jessica says

Now that we live down the lane I don’t even hear the bus, it is glorious! Though I pass it on my way home from my swim and think, “Holy cow, it’s not even light yet!” I think some of the kids out here with our new messed up districts are on the bus for over an hour and a half round trip. I hope they get some homework done, ha.

That’s awesome; it’s nice to get some vindication!

3. Kristina in GA says

We currently have 2 boys in the same elementary school (K & 3rd) and the drop-off/pick-up/packing lunches/volunteer/PTA/book fair/field trip/homework/projects/testing/etc are endless. Not to mention the expense- every time I turn around you’re coming up with money for field day t-shirts, school t-shirts, PTA, field trips, class parties, Christmas gift exchange, teacher gifts (which they TOTALLY deserve BTW) for Christmas/Teacher Appreciation Wk/End of Year, random donations, and we actually had to pay for a GA studies newsletter subscription this year for the 3rd grader which was required for their social studies. In addition to all of this, the $140 I spent at the beginning of the year for 2 kids for school supplies.
    We are planning on withdrawing our kids from the school district this summer and homeschooling them next year. It’s something we’ve talked about since our 3rd grader was ready to start Kindergarten. We’ve discussed it every year and have decided that it’s time. I’m excited (and nervous :)) but I know that this will benefit our family and children. I am looking forward to spending more time with my kids and being directly involved in their learning.

• Emerald says

Yes! I just bought the “track and field day” special shirt last week and got the book fair notice tonight! To be fair I love a good book fair and we only have one kiddo so its not too bad but it can get out of hand real quick. Good luck next year!!

• Kristina in GA says

Thanks for the well wishes! I am a sucker for a book fair, too. I consider money spent buying my kids books a great investment, so I have a hard time saying no.

• Jessica says

@Emerald – Book fairs are the BEST. I loved bringing home those little newspapery magazine things for Scholastic as a kid, and my mom always let us get some things. Because books! You can’t have too many, I always say.

• Jessica says

*Snort* Ha ha! I bet if I could have done, I would be super good at math right now. I’m pretty sure Wonder Woman Underoos would have made all the difference.

4. Annika says

We totally run around in our underwear and don’t do algebra. Although, my children are a bit young for algebra to be a consideration.

• Jessica says

Well, we’re really only into pre-algebra but it’s still killing me dead. I think if wearing a snorkel system and bear claw slippers helped I’d be down with it. Thank goodness for a mathy dad!

5. Emerald says

I heart your sister! Here I was feeling bad that for the last two weeks I’ve gotten up at 6a had my kiddo on the bus at 6:50a. Drove home (oh – the laziness – we’re not even a block away from the bus stop!) and crawled back into bed until my mom calls me (yes, I’m 32yo) at 10a to wake me up. We public school for lots of reasons, mainly for their very wonderful and tailored special needs program that my kiddo is in. I, however, second all of your lazy reasons for homeschooling and use them in my public school life too. I have been known to drive my son to school because I didn’t make him breakfast and need to stop at Chick-fil-A to pick him some up!! And I think I’m one non-returned reading list way from having my mom card revoked! I can’t remember where I came across this article last year (it may have been from you) but this is pretty much me year round: http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/05/30/worst-end-of-school-year-mom-ever Is it June yet?

• Annie says

I love that article and have been thinking about it again this year as the school year closes! So funny and so close to home!

• Jessica says

@Emerald – I guarantee you this is exactly how I would do it if we were battling mornings and school bus schedules. In fact that would be priority one on my to do list every day.

1. Nap while kids are at school.
      2. Lounge around in my underpants since the 12 year old isn’t home to act shocked about it.
      3. Remember to get them breakfast tomorrow at a drive through like awesome Emerald.

Actually I remember my mom sometimes getting me sausage McMuffins on the way to school, and she pretty much rocks.

I laughed out loud, like a for real LOL, several times during that article! That’s hysterical, I hadn’t read it before. And of COURSE she got lunatics in her comments section. Sometimes I wonder about people – are they just really trolling for kicks? Or do people actually think she’s a bad mother for falling apart in April? Because I would be that mom, I guarantee it. Finding stuff out of the trash for an “About Me” poster just a handful of days before school ends? Totally me in a parallel universe for shizzle.

6. Kara says

I think the musical vacations are my favorite part of homeschooling. I love getting to go places in the off season when it’s not so crowded. I love being able to plan school breaks around life events instead of trying to plan life events around school breaks. My oldest is 16 and taking college classes this year and it’s been a real adjustment learning to work around her school schedule.

• Jessica says

I am really hoping someday soon we can get our act together and plan for a Disneyland vacation. I think all the kids are old enough to enjoy it now & we’d love to go in like, September or October when the rest of the nation is back in school.

• Jessica says

My husband and I have gone to Disneyland twice over the last few years the week of Halloween. It’s the best!! The weather is perfect, hardly anyone there except locals. Halloween night is great, because even though the Magic Kingdom closes early for Mickey’s Very Scary Halloween Party (extra $$$ for tickets for that), you get to see everyone’s Halloween costume before they kick out the non-party people. Then you can go hang out in the nearly-empty California Adventure and not wait for any rides.

We stay at the Hilton Homewood Suites (free breakfast and a kitchen in the room=cheap meals) and take the ART transport so we don’t have to pay for parking. Much cheaper than any Disney-only accommodations.

7. Jennifer says

Omy goodness. I’ve said all of this a thousand times. All.of.it. My poor kids would not get to do anything if they had to go to school. We’re soooo slow in the morning. I’m a big fan of preschool and let’s just say we weren’t the best attendees.

• Jessica says

Heh. I like preschool too! And we have such a great one nearby, but we dropped out for similar reasons. I felt like such a failure. Seriously? I can’t get my 5 year old to PRESCHOOL?

And once I forgot to pick one of them up. Worst day ever.

8. Kiera says

My ideological commitment to homeschooling was shattered early on by my realization that my daughter’s intense personality was not going to mesh well with my own irritable personality during a school session. I sometimes wonder if I’d had my sons first instead, whether or not I’d be homeschooling my kids instead of sending them to public school. Thankfully, the schools in our neighborhood are great, with teachers who are much better at coaxing work out of my daughter than I could ever be. But getting her out of bed early is the price I pay for the ability to not go into an early grave from the stress at trying to get her to do some work. She does not like to do schoolwork!

• Jessica says

My friend Amy says the same thing. She’s like, I love my kids, but there are a few of them (she has seven!) who she’d end up strangling (or vice a versa) by the end of the day. I’m so glad we have options :o)

I really thought my oldest would be the type who LOVED school, so we tried it out. I’m still kind of shocked 6 years later that it didn’t work out. He even likes mornings, he could totally handle getting on the school bus in the dark.

9. Katie says

I totally understand and agree with all of these. A few years ago, we moved in September, about a month after school started, and I wanted to keep my kids going to their old school the rest of the year. So I had to drive them on my way to work. They were tardy pretty much every day. OK, not quite every day (probably due to leniency on the teachers’ part). Once they got up to 12 tardies or so, they were sent to truancy school (even though they were only 0-5 minutes late). The truancy lady threatened that if they continued to be “truant”, policemen would come to their houses and take their parents to court. These kids were 5-9 years old!!

The next year we transferred to the school in our area, and they could be responsible for getting themselves there. None of them have had any tardies ever since. The only time they’ve been even close to tardy is when they ask me to drive them. Thank goodness they are more responsible about time than I am! (Also, it takes them like 2 seconds to get ready in the morning.)

Our school has an early and a late track, and my kids are on the late one, which starts at 9:15. I LOVE IT!! My 12-year old is traumatized, because next year he has to be on the bus by 7:45, and he doesn’t usually get up until 8:00.

My work is kind of lenient, and I’ve kind of let my start time slide around, getting later and later. A couple months ago, my boss told me I had to start coming in at more regular times. I was thinking “I come in at 10 am every day! That IS regular!” I guess that’s not exactly what he meant. I explained that school doesn’t start until 9:15, so I think we decided that 9:30 was OK. I’ve tried to make it by 9:00 every day, but don’t always. I hope they continue to employ me.

• Jessica says

Truancy school sounds like something from a Dickens novel. What… what is that? Like, detention? For basically babies?

2 seconds, Katie, do you not have girls? I can’t remember. Doing Miss K’s hair on Sunday mornings is like the worst thing in the world for both of us. I think if I had to be getting her ready every morning for school she would have a Tinkerbell haircut or we both might be guilty of hurling brushes through the bathroom window.

I think a 10am start time is dreamy. For the past couple of years I was working side jobs starting at 7 and then my regular gig started around 10. He really, really, really wanted me to come work at his facility every day in a more regular 9 to 5 set up and there was just no way. I hope your new schedule works out :o)

• Katie says

I have 3 boys! The worst we have to deal with for hair is me threatening to bathe my 12-year old himself if he doesn’t shower. He doesn’t stink, but his hair gets very visibly greasy.

10. Michelle @ needle and nest says

I love reading about your homeschooling adventures, even though it’s not a good fit for us. Our kids go to Catholic school and I love, love, love the faith formation they get there (I am Catholic). It’s such a great compliment to what we do at home.

Of course, have my own form of lazy parenting, which basically involves keeping our non-school hours family centered. We don’t do a bunch of play dates, or sports, or other activities. Maybe we’ll do more when they’re older, but right now it works for us. We’re all happier on days that we aren’t running around everywhere after school.

I may not be enriching them with all the extra stuff, but they sure are happy kids!

xoxo

• Jessica says

Enriching ensminching. I know that if my kids went to a great school we loved and that everyone was happy and learning and progressing there is no way I would do any extra enriching type stuff at home. Sometimes I get those emails: “I want to do homeschool after school with my kid” and I’m like “NO!” They are busy all day long doing school and only have a few hours of evening time to just chill, hang out with friends, play, talk to mom, etc. Just let them have those hours! So you’re doing great in my book, and my book is totally what counts the most. Ha. But seriously, good job :o)

11. Katherine says

I love seeing my kids play together and enjoy each other so much. They’re just “best buddies” (their words) and it pains me to think of them being apart for so much of each day. One day that will come and we will send them to the perfectly awesome public school two blocks away, but for now my oldest is home.

I also can’t imagine my introverted oldest child in school all day and then just getting sort of the “leftover” version of her in the evenings. I think she’d be strung out and exhausted from it.

• Jessica says

I really miss those years when everyone was tiny & school was a distant thought. I know it’s so cliche and dumb and tired to say it, but enjoy it! There, I’ll go put my dentures back in now.

12. Jess says

AMEN!!! I, personally, am a morning person, but I love that I can get up before everyone else and read and yoga-cize and meditate and pray without any pressure to get my kids up and going. I love that they have a ton of free time to wander out in the woods and watch anthills and chase chickens. I know that I do not deal with a high-stress frenetic pace, and so homeschooling simplifies all the demands on my life so that I can ENJOY my children. When we lived in CO they went to school one day a week and every morning they went I was crazy trying not to yell, “Seriously, you lost your shoes already? We need to leave 5 minutes ago! BUCKLE UP ALREADY!!!” and then after school it was hurry and eat and get everyone to karate. That one day was exhausting and made me think that if my kids went away to school everyday they would think all I do is feel stressed out and yell at them to get somewhere on time.

• Jessica says

Could you please bottle some of that morning person stuff for me and ship it overnight airmail ASAP? Thanks.

Seriously though quiet mornings sound AMAZING. And even though I’m a night owl, and you’d think I’d get some of that quiet alone awesome time on the other end of the day, I don’t always with two little night owls for children.

Idaho is great with dual enrollment and I think we’ll take advantage of some of that as J. gets older and wants to do some of the extra curricular stuff at the HS, but I’m exhausted just thinking about how to coordinate it all. Eep.

13. Nicole says

I am waaay too lazy about school to ever dream of homeschooling my 2 kids. I have never been a good ‘school’ person. Just being honest but making appointments and being on time places never a problem for me! The public school thing works well for us now. We all get up. I get ready for work and they for the most part get them selves ready for school (3rd and 5th graders) and we leave about 730a. My oldest is going to Middle School in July and I am so nervous. I must admit I am in a little in awe of those that homeschool and are with their kids all day. We all do what works best for us and just hope we are raising our kids to be productive, good citizens in the future…

• Jessica says

I’m too lazy to PS and you’re too lazy to homeschool and I think it’s wonderful that we have options that fit our desires and energy levels. PLUS if you work, it’s a frillion times harder to homeschool. The only way we’ve been able to manage is having my husband stay at home the last year, and that is not something that works for everyone for sure!

Your last sentence is basically my motto in life. I hope I never make anyone feel inadequate or whatever just because we do something different, you know? I really am so glad we all have options. Hooray!

14. The Party Fail says

I don’t know how many times I tell my kids to put on pants (at least) to homeschool. Let’s be proper and all.

People tell me how they don’t know I do it…I don’t know how school people do it. I like my lazy little schedule! We do two to four weeks of “school camp” (a summer camp at a school) in the summer. Last year, 8:00-2:30. Poor kids were so exhausted to come home and then have to go to swim team. I remind them their friends do it all the time, thankyouverymuch, so be grateful that you get to lay on the couch in the afternoons.

• Jessica says

Ha ha. I totally use that: “What, you are having a hard time with this? Your friends do this every single day. How about that?” Or, “Do you see that bus? You have been done with school for four hours. They are just getting home, and will have to do homework until sundown, and then do their chores and then they will have to milk the cow and work in the chicken feather factory all night long before getting up at 4am to do it all over again. So please sweep the kitchen floor without whining before you watch another episode of My Little Pony and thank me for your awesome life.”

Ha ha, I kid. Kinda.

15. Mom2Eight says

I agree with you on the lazy homeschooling argument. I enjoyed it while I could.

I had the whole school routine down and did it, early mornings and all, for seven years, and then we moved. Homeschooling became our best option, and I fell in love with actually getting enough sleep every night (not to mention the benefits of spending time with my kids. Once the novelty of spending all day together wore off, they learned to get along better than they ever had before).

Now, my oldest is going off to college, and at the moment, for various reasons, the oldest three are in a couple of charter high schools and a junior high. The five youngest are still home with me all day, but things are changing. I thought I had turned super lazy this year, until just this week my five-year-old started writing fun phonetic “letters” to everyone. And here I worried that his 30 minutes of school a day couldn’t possibly be adequate! Apparently, he is learning more than I thought!

I do miss the freedom to vacation when we want. We had to tolerate three different spring break weeks this year! It’s a good thing the elementary kids are home full time and didn’t make it a fourth week! (I miss our old unified school district calendar).

Yes, homeschooling has some advantages….

• Jessica says

So I get mildly (very mildly!) annoyed when people are like, “Oh I could NEVAR homeschool! I don’t have enough patience! You are a rockstar of epic proportions and I must build you a shrine!” Because duh, obviously if it were hard I wouldn’t do it because I am lazy and hate hard things. But now I’m going to do that to you because OMGOSH I don’t know if I could homeschool eight children and I will build you a shrine out of baby walruses because EIGHT BABIES!

I know, dumb right? We do what we have to do and what we feel is best, and if I had twelve kids and I felt like homeschooling all of them was best, I’d do it. And somewhere I’d find the energy and sanity in the reserves of energy I store in my toes. OR if I felt like utilizing a variety of marvelous and available options was best, I’d do that too.

Heh, you inspired a side rant.

Anyway, you’re doing a great job! And I’m continually impressed with how much my 5 year old picks up via osmosis. Ha ha.

• Mom2Eight says

Yes, I know. We do what we have to do. I only had eight at home for one year before the oldest went back to school. Honestly, my load has been MUCH lighter this year–No junior high and high school to supervise–and I am loving having just the little ones at home.

I don’t even get up like I should to see the others off. My oldest drives them as payment for use of the car, and she hates to be late to anything. I will miss her very much next year.

Even when I had only six or seven at home, a couple were too young for school, and the older ones pretty much did everything on their own anyway. Last year, though, was chaos: We even had to schedule who got the computer when, and the piano when, and down time for no piano so my ears could rest while we did read alouds, etc. This year? It is so much better! (And my troubled teen is supervised in a good school atmosphere, so I don’t have to stress as much about teenagers, either).

I will admit, thought, that when our new bishop asked me to help with a cub scout den, I broke down and cried (what’s with that? I’ve been fine doing it before). I said I’d do it, but he looked at my stress tears and said no. He found something else for me to do instead. :)

• Jessica says

Not getting up to see anyone off sounds awesome. My sister in law does it that way now that she has a driver. She says they come in for hair checks and leave. Ha!

Oh I’m glad you said no! My pet peeve was overwhelmed people saying yes and then that didn’t help the scout program at all. I’d much rather folks say, You know what, I can’t deal with this not even a little bit. Because yay! Then we can find someone else and you get to have a better position for you :o)

Now, I just need to apply this to myself and gird up my loins to just say no to VT because I hate it. Heh.

16. Annie says

I love hearing about how you homeschool. The laziness points are definitely positives in my book! I totally hear you on the gone-all-day issues. I already feel that a bit with my daughter who is only in first grade. She’s gone for 7 hours. Sometimes when I’m working on a big long project I’m grateful for it and wish I could send my other two with her but other times I miss her and wish she was home more so we could do things together.

We public school. My kids have loved it (and so have I) so we continue with it. The schools they go to are great ones and their teachers have been fantastic. There is a lot of parent involvement from the parents in our neighborhood which is nice because it means I don’t have to! Hahaha! Seriously, though, I don’t volunteer for anything and I’m okay with that. My kids mostly get themselves ready (except for that whole breakfast thing they keep demanding every single morning, what is with that?) so my job is primarily to keep them on task as they get ready. One rides the bus and the other I have to drive (half-day prek in another district) then I get three hours where I can run errands without taking everyone or get some computer work done without feeling like I’m neglecting everyone. Then I feel more refreshed to enjoy them when they get home in the afternoon. My baby is happy to play by himself without the “help” of any overlords for those few hours and my bigger kids get some social interaction which I’m terrible about providing without school because I’m a hermit. It works for us for now so we’re sticking with it.

• Jessica says

You really don’t have to volunteer? I remember being so frustrated because I worked full time when J. was in kindy and I could never figure out how I was supposed to just take a whole morning off to go help teach reading in the classroom. I felt so guilty.

I will totally confess to once in a while dreaming about everyone being gone all day, sometimes I think that would be really nice. But I also think there is this misconception that having them home is hard. I won’t lie, of course we have bad days sometimes, and I think it’s harder to balance it all in the beginning, especially with little ones. But later, when your older kids are mostly self-taught, and everyone is done with school by noon and out exploring or reading or playing with friends (thank goodness for lots of other homeschooled kids around who are free in the afternoons) it’s really, really easy, and mom gets a ton of freedom / alone time / project time.

But seriously, I love that we have options (I’m like a broken record in the comments today) so we can do what works best for our families!

17. shannon says

building you a shrine.

I can’t even get my child to wear her retainer, let alone do a summer worksheet.

I used to think I was a failure for not homeschooling. Only the best parents homeschool and they must love their kids more than I do.

or that I am secretly evil for enjoying the total peace and quiet of my house from 7:30-3:30pm.

That being said, I know if it was the right choice, I would be able to do it. :) My husband is 100% no dice on the subject, we live in a district that is in top of the nation, the kids are happy and excelling. So really, public schools was (is currently) the right choice for our family and God gave me the ability to get over my hang ups.

which makes it so much easier to enjoy those 8 hours of quiet time per day. I call it a blessing.

• Jessica says

Well make sure you build it out of chocolate and pancakes, okay?

Oh gosh, yeah, no. Super not a failure and super dooper not evil (ha ha!). I just can’t understand these mommy wars. Like, you do what you need to do and I’ll do what I need to do and we can all get together for chocolate shakes and sing kumbaya and hold hands, yes?

My very wonderful marvelous amazing friend Amy says exactly this. If she felt good about it she’d do it, but she doesn’t, and we still get along and really like each other!