Average Vacation Cost – US & International
About 69% of employed and 55% of unemployed Americans have taken a vacation. In 2019, before the COVID-10 pandemic disrupted the world, 52% of Americans were planning to take a summer vacation. To plan holiday spending successfully, it’s essential to know the average vacation cost for domestic and international trips. How much to put aside for flights, food, and accommodation is just one part of the calculations. There are also lots of factors that can seriously impact your total vacation costs, so scroll down to find out all there is to know about it.
What Is the Average Vacation Cost?
Americans from different regions spend different average amounts vacationing every year. Those in the West fork out about $2,265 on vacations, while those from the Northeast have an annual vacation budget of $2,078. The average spending on holidays is the lowest among those living in the South ($1,943) and the Midwest ($1,607).
Still, these figures don’t tell us much. The length, destination, and transportation are among the factors that impact the average cost of vacation stays and trips. After all, the average cost of a Sandals vacation can’t compare to the expenditures of staying at a hostel.
Below, let’s go over the average cost of taking a 4-night trip within the States.
Average expenses for a 4-night domestic trip:
- Transportation – $224
- Lodging – $150
- Food/Alcohol – $155
- Entertainment – $52
- Total – $581
Cost per day – $144
Americans can have a 4-night domestic trip for less than $600 a person. These calculations represent the spending habits of an average US tourist. They can go up or down depending on whether you visit popular spots and book expensive hotels.One thing is certain, though – the average vacation cost is much higher if you opt for an international trip. Find the approximate costs below.
Average expenses for a 12-night international trip:
- Transportation – $1,755
- Lodging – $683
- Food/Alcohol – $520
- Entertainment – $293
- Total – $3,251
Cost per day – $271
If we divide these calculations to get the 4-night estimate, we get an average price of $1,083. Meaning, the overseas vacation costs to consider are nearly double those needed for domestic trips.
Cost of US Vacation by Budget Size
Planning your next vacation budget means deciding on the type of holiday you want. Budget-friendly options are often much lower than high-end experiences. BudgetYourTrip has provided valuable insights on the average vacation cost stateside by type.
- Daily cost per person – $83
- One week per person – $578
- One week for a couple – $1,156
- One month per person – $2,478
- One month for a couple – $4,956
- Daily cost per person – $224
- One week per person – $1,568
- One week for a couple – $3,137
- One month per person – $6,722
- One month for a couple – $13,444
- Daily cost per person – $653
- One week per person – $4,571
- One week for a couple – $9,142
- One month per person – $19,590
- One month for a couple – $39,179
As you can see, the high-end daily vacation cost per person is 686% higher than the budget-friendly option. The difference between the average vacation expenditure for a couple is equally drastic at 690%.This just further proves the thesis that the average cost of a vacation is best represented by type. The average spent by budget travelers is helpful for other tourists seeking the same experience. On a similar note, those looking for extravagance should base their expectation on the average costs among high-end travelers.
Average Holiday Cost by Expense Type
Then, what is the average price of food, accommodation, transportation, and entertainment? We have some averages below.
This average vacation cost breakdown is based on the BudgetYourTrip figures for a regular vacation in the USA for a solo traveler.
Average Cost of a Disney World Vacation
Disney World vacations are popular among solo travelers, couples, and, of course, families. Disney offers a unique experience, and people worldwide are willing to pay high prices for it. Before deciding to visit Disney World, however, it’s smart to plan your spending. There are several factors to consider. In any case, you’ll need about $4,600 for a Disney trip for a family of four.
Here are the estimated prices that affect the average cost of a vacation in American Disney World destinations. Below, you’ll find the average cost of a Disney vacation for 4 for a 4-day trip.
Again, this average Disney vacation cost can go up or down depending on your traveling habits. If you opt for luxurious hotels and get larger rental cars, you’ll spend more. Alternatively, you can go to hostels and prepare some of the meals yourself to save cash.
Another thing to consider is the park you’re visiting. The average Disney World vacation cost for 2 is much higher if you’re traveling from the USA and to international parks. Flight and accommodation costs are usually higher this way. By contrast, if you’re lucky enough to live nearby some of the Disney World destinations, you can expect to spend much less than the average cost of a Disney vacation.
Average Cost of Disney World Ticket Price
As we’re talking about the Disney World experience’s average vacation cost, most of the spending goes to tickets. The average Disney World vacation for 4 calculations are based on the average ticket price of $109. Disney World, however, offers various ticket options to suit the needs of different travelers.Below, find some popular ticket types that can affect the average cost of a Disney World vacation.
Park Hopper prices per ticket:
- $65 for 1-day tickets
- $75 for 2 to 3-day tickets
- $85 for 4 to 10-day tickets
Park Hopper Plus prices per ticket:
- $85 for 1-day tickets
- $95 for 2 to 3-day tickets
- $105 for 4 to 10-day tickets
Multi-day Disney World price per ticker:
- 4-day ticket – $412 ($103 per day)
- 10-day ticket – $520 ($52 per day)
If you go for the 10-day ticket, expect the average Disney World vacation cost to jump significantly. Staying longer will also result in higher food and accommodation costs.
Average Cost of Vacation in Europe
Europe has always been a top destination among travelers who want to explore fine cuisine, architecture, and historical sights. Visiting the Old Continent, however, doesn’t come cheap. The average cost of a European vacation of two weeks for a solo traveler is nearly $4,000. It’s fair to mention that the average vacation cost to Europe depends on the country or countries you plan to visit.
Below, we’ll go over standard averages on accommodation, transportation, and food. Take these with a grain of salt as most Balkan countries, for example, are much cheaper than top spots like Monaco or the French Riviera. These calculations further include an average hotel price of $150 a night. Yet, some budget-friendly hostels and hotels cost between $15-30 a night. Hence, travelers’ average vacation cost in Europe can go down if you’re willing to sacrifice comfort and luxury.So, how much does the average person spend on vacation in Europe? The figures apply to a two-week trip and mid-range economy flights.
Where you fly to, the type of accommodation, and where you eat matter. All these affect the average vacation cost for one person for travelers in Europe. Using a low-cost airline like Wizz Air instead of Lufthansa, for instance, can save you hundreds of dollars. Europe is also cheaper than the US in some regards, for example, EU destinations generally have cheaper healthcare costs by country, for example.Naturally, destinations are essential too. Below, let’s analyze the vacation costs by country across European top tourist spots.
Italy Vacation Costs
Italy has always been a favorite destination for people traveling to Europe. The country has cities perfect for all seasons, lots of activities, and historical monuments. Plus, it’s the home of pizza, and that accounts for something.So, it makes sense to analyze the average cost of a vacation to Italy.
- Daily cost per person – $59
- One week per person – $415
- One week for a couple – $831
- One month per person – $1,781
- One month for a couple – $3,562
- Daily cost per person – $150
- One week per person – $1,055
- One week for a couple – $2,109
- One month per person – $4,519
- One month for a couple – $9,038
- Daily cost per person – $383
- One week per person – $2,682
- One week for a couple – $5,364
- One month per person – $11,494
- One month for a couple – $22,989
As you can see, the average cost of an Italy vacation can have a reasonable price but also empty your bank account. Again, your traveling habits will have the biggest impact. The average vacation cost for a family of 4 for a week in Italy is about $600 for standard travelers. Yet, the amount will be over $1,500 for those looking for luxury.
Greece Vacation Costs
Greece is another popular destination in Europe, especially for the summer season. The country is famous for crystal-clear seas and sandy beaches. All the parties, fresh seafood, and historical sights, however, don’t come cheap and can push the average vacation cost higher than Mount Olympus. The average vacation cost to Greece is less expensive than Italy, at least.
- Daily cost per person – $51
- One week per person – $360
- One week for a couple – $721
- One month per person – $1,545
- One month for a couple – $3,090
- Daily cost per person – $133
- One week per person – $937
- One week for a couple – $1,875
- One month per person – $4,017
- One month for a couple – $8,033
- Daily cost per person – $359
- One week per person – $2,513
- One week for a couple – $5,026
- One month per person – $10,770
- One month for a couple – $21,540
One of the most popular spots in Greece is Santorini. Santorini is among the Cyclades Islands, and it’s known for its volcanic beaches. Another thing Santorini’s known for? Being pricey. The Santorini average vacation cost is $132 per person per day and $3,962 per person per month.
Croatia Vacation Costs
Croatia has always been popular among travelers coming to Europe. The destination, however, became even more famous after the mega-popular Game of Thrones TV show used Dubrovnik as one of its filming locations. Vacation costs in Croatia have been on the rise ever since. Still, this Balkan country is cheaper than other favorite EU spots like Italy and France.
- Daily cost per person – $32
- One week per person – $226
- One week for a couple – $453
- One month per person – $970
- One month for a couple – $1,940
- Daily cost per person – $82
- One week per person – $570
- One week for a couple – $1,141
- One month per person – $2,444
- One month for a couple – $4,889
- Daily cost per person – $204
- One week per person – $1,427
- One week for a couple – $2,854
- One month per person – $6,117
- One month for a couple – $12,234
Average Hawaii Vacation Cost
In 2019, nearly 10.5 million visitors traveled to Hawaii. This figure represented a year-over-year increase in visitors of 5.4%. So, it makes sense that the average cost of a Hawaii vacation is above the average cost of a vacation in the US.
According to BudgetYourTrip, the standard average cost of a Hawaiian vacation is $269 per person per day. This amounts to about $3,765 per person per two weeks. The average cost of a Hawaii vacation for 2 for two weeks is about $7,529.
CreditDonkey reports that the average flight to Hawaii is about $1,000, while a standard room costs about $200-400 per night. Opting for a luxurious experience can boost the average Hawaiian vacation cost as such accommodations are priced at $800 a night. The same report states that people should expect to spend about $100 on food per person per day. So, the average cost of a Hawaiian vacation for 2 for a week is about $1,400 for food only.Other aspects that affect the average vacation cost include local transportation, entertainment, and water. Expect to spend an average of $29, $31, and $12 on these.
Average Cost of an Exotic Vacation
Americans love visiting exotic destinations with crystal-clear waters, unique cultures, and unusual experiences. While living in those countries is much cheaper than paying your bills in the US, vacationing there doesn’t come cheap. Especially not if you choose luxurious travel packages.
Once again, we researched the average cost of a vacation per person. To get the average cost of a family vacation, you can multiply the figure and get a reasonable estimate.
- Vacation costs for Cuba – Cuba is an excellent destination and a cheap one, too. One person vacationing there spends an average of $34 a day. Couples can stay in Cuba for a week for only $483, while a high-end vacation here costs $1,516.
- Average Bora Bora vacation cost – The average vacation cost to Bora Bora is $147 per person per day. If a couple wants to have a two-week stay, they need to put aside $4,118. Going for a high-end holiday, however, will cost them approximately $7,869.
- Average cost of Maldives vacation – Visiting the Maldives these years is cheaper than Bora Bora. The average cost of a vacation in this exotic location is $60 per person per day. Couples will need $838 and $1,310 a week, depending on whether they want a regular or a luxurious option.
- Average cost of a vacation to the Philippines – Only Cuba and Vietnam are destinations from this list that are less expensive than the Philippines. A solo traveler in the Philippines needs $55 a day and $384 a week. The average vacation budget for a couple for a week in the Philippines is $769 for most tourists. Low-budget and high-end options cost an average of $298 and $2,021 for a week for two people.
- Vacation costs for Vietnam – Vietnam trips have gained popularity in recent years due to the country’s culture, nature, and affordability. Spending a day in most Vietnam destinations costs $41 per person. The average family vacation cost depends on how big the family is. Couples can spend a week here for between $207 and $1,697, depending on whether they seek a budget-friendly or a high-end trip. Every additional person will impact the average cost of vacation there by $41-121 a day.
- Average vacation cost to Japan – The average cost of vacation in Japan is between $53 and $331 per day. The overall average per day for most solo travelers is $133, while couples spend $1,868 per week.
- Vacation costs for Thailand – Thailand has always been famous among thrill-seekers. The country offers options to budget travelers and those seeking luxury and comfort. The average daily cost for a single person in Thailand is between $26 and $207, while the standard average is $71. Couples staying in Thailand for a week need a budget from $346 to $2,903, depending on their spending habits.
- Average vacation cost to Dubai – Going to the United Arab Emirates is everything but cheap. Solo travelers would spend $198 a day, while couples will have to fork out $2,777 for a week. These are standard prices, while high-end vacations are even more expensive. One such week in Dubai could cost couples $7,304.
Tips on Saving Money on Your Next Vacation
If these vacation cost estimates seem too high for your budget, you can always try some tips on how to lower the average cost of a vacation, regardless of the destination. Rocketrip released a report on the best ways to cut down the overall cost of any trip. These savings are impressive for solo travelers but also for families. Imagine how much the average cost of a vacation for a family of 5 would change if everyone employed these tips and tricks.
Find the highlights of how much money can small adjustments save you.
How Much Does the Average Vacation Cost?
There’s no one-budget-fits-all solution for vacations. Every traveler has individual needs and expectations, regardless of if these affect means of transportation, type of food, or accommodation quality. Therefore, the average vacation cost is best divided into groups that fit low-cost and high-end tourists’ spending habits. Consulting these estimations, however, is always a smart step when planning your next vacation budget. Also, don’t forget to try some of the tips and save as much as possible on flights and hotels. After all, these two represent the highest share of the overall vacation cost.